Remember that story The Bush boy well here’s the sequel. The last story.

Rick’s Story

By Zedekai Di Florio-Pulis

If you don’t know what has already happened…

Rick, Alisha and Billy were running from a rabid wolf. Or that’s what Billy thought. They had been running for so long, so Billy knelt down to catch his breath. He soon realises that Rick and Alisha are missing. Seriously? Now he has to survive in the jungle on his own with no food or water. Can he do it? Or will he perish without even reaching his 20’s?

“OK kids. It all started in 1938, when I was born. I was living the life. And get this? My parents were rich. I was going to grow up to be a nice, rich young man. Until the fire came. It was caused mysteriously. Still, to this day, no one knows who caused the fire,” Rick said.

“Anyway. We didn’t all survive. Obviously I did, but my father didn’t. My mother was in tears, staring into the leaping, climbing flame. As she cried, I also stared into the charred black remains of our house. I was just born, so I had no idea what was going on. Before I knew it, my mother was sprinting, with me cradled in her arms. Now this part I remember clearly. She put me in a river and let me slowly float away. She was crying, waving sadly and slowly slipping away from me. I was still young, but here I knew that I would never see her again,” Rick looked off into the distance, at the smoking volcano on the mountain.

“What happened next Rick?” Alisha asked excitedly.

“Well, I was picked up by a pack of lions. They taught me how to be brave and strong. Soon, I was barrelling around the jungle on all fours, roaring.

Then, when I was old enough, I left the lions to survive on my own. So, when I was being chased by some huge iguana, I was taken in by the apes. They were a lot like humans. I soon learned the way of the human. They also taught me how to run, swing, jump and climb. I soon became very fast at running, strengthening my legs more and more every day. The only part I don’t know is how I learnt to talk. I first used to use grunts and hand gestures, then I started using words to communicate. Then I decided I will start to save other’s lives; by listening for help calls. My first rescue was a 10-year-old boy. I think he was trapped in a cave, with a little hole at the top that he couldn’t reach.

I swung there, on the branches of the trees, and climbed up the cave wall, just fitting through the hole. I grabbed the boy and climbed with him in my arms, through the hole. As I was saving him he told me that he and his parents had been on a holiday, and they had come across the cave. Then they had heard some rocks collapsing, his parents had been close to the mouth of the cave, so they had run to safety. But the boy wasn’t quick enough. The parents never heard his help calls, so they had assumed he had died. He said that he had been in that cave for months, surviving on rainwater. Hi skin was pale, and he said he was starving. I quickly gave him some dragon fruit. He was very thankful. I swam him to a small town. He thanked me again and went to live a new life. I have picked up many people in my life time. But never picked u anyone like you two. You were the only ones that ended up sticking with me. You were the bravest people that I have picked up,” He said, smiling. “And I will never forget finding you two,”

“And we will never forget finding you Rick,” I said. “You are the bravest person I have ever met,”

“Come on, I am going to take you home,” said Rick.

We had been with Rick for months. I don’t know how to explain it. I remember where I had first met Rick. On the shore line of the beach. We hiked to the shore.

“I’ll walk from here,” I said. “Thank you,”

“I can walk from here too,” said Alisha. “Wait, do you live in Mulberry too?” asked Alisha.

“Yeah I do. I have never seen you around here,” I said, surprised.

“Well, I guess this is goodbye,” I said, a tear rolling down my cheek.

“Goodbye,” said Rick. He gave us both a giant hug.

He then ran up to a tree, hoisted himself up it, and swung away.

That was the last time I ever saw Rick Bones ever again.